This Tutorial is for versions 0.9.4 or higher
This tutorial will show you how to create a simple piece of music in Denemo from start to exporting a PDF.
- Download and install Denemo.
- Launch the program using the normal method for your operating system.
- When you start two windows appear: your working window – the Denemo Display – showing a single empty staff, and “Denemo Print View” showing the final typeset score.
- With the arrow-keys set the blue cursor near the centre of the staff in the Denemo Display. Then add a note by pressing a note name “a”, “b” … “g”
- The number keys set the length of a note: 0 is whole note (semibreve), 1 is a half (minim), 2 is a quarter (crotchet) and so on… (if possible use numeric keypad – faster). Pressing a number key creates a new note at the same pitch. Pressing a letter key creates a new note at a different pitch.
- To change both pitch and duration of a new note: either set the blue cursor with the arrow-keys then press a number-key, or press number-key, backspace, letter-key.
Enter four measures of music with two different note-lengths
- With the backspace-key delete your work so far. You should now see just the clef followed by the time signature and the blue cursor.
- Use the up and down arrow keys to move the Denemo cursor near the G-position located in the middle of the staff.
- Press 2. A quarter note duration appears.
- Press an “a”. See it works – it chooses the nearest note A.
- Enter “b”, “c” “d” and “e”.
- You see a measure was added automatically after 4 quarter notes. This is because the measure is complete.
- Enter “b” and “a”. The nearest note to the cursor is chosen, so in this case a descending sequence
- Now enter “g” and “f” half-notes with the “1″ key, back-space, “g” and “f”.
- Finally add a whole note with 0 back-space and “g”
Save and View
- We can save this masterpiece. Press Ctrl+s and a Save As dialog will appear.
- In the “Save As” window enter a name, for example “tutorial”, select the place to save your file, then press the “Save” button (The .denemo extension will be added automatically).
- Press Save and this piece is stored on disk and we are back at the edit cursor.
- Look over the generated image and choose Print from the button at the top and click Print if you are happy to print now, or PDF to create a PDF file and print using your PDF reader.
One more detail
- We want to make the only f an f-sharp, aka Fis.
- Navigate with the Arrow Keys Left and Right until you meet the half f. You don’t have to hit it vertically, horizontally is enough.
- (Or you can just click the f with your mouse, if you like.)
- Press the + key to sharpen the note. (Guess what - does.)
- Visit the other tutorials to learn what’s possible.
- Your piece needs a name and author-information. Try to figure out how to set them with the Titles menu located in the Score menu.
- Add a second staff with Staffs/Voices->Insert Staff->Add Staff after and write a beautiful second voice!