This Tutorial is for versions 0.9.4 or higher
This tutorial will show you how to create a simple piece of music in Denemo from start to exporting a PDF.
- Download and install Denemo.
- Launch the program using the normal method for your operating system.
- When you start a new, mostly blank window awaits you, showing a single staff, empty but a treble-clef and a 4/4 time-signature.
- Add a note by pressing a note name “a”, “b” … “g”
- Use a number key from 0 to 6 to enter a note with a specific length. 0 is whole note, 1 is a half, 2 is a quarter and so on… (if possible use numeric keypad – faster)
- Use the up/down arrow keys to move the large blue marker to a new note position
- Type in note names (a, b, c, d, e, f, g) to add more notes
- or change note length as before with number keys
Enter four measures of music with two different note-lengths
- Use the up and down arrow keys to move the Denemo cursor near the G-position located in the middle of the staff.
- Press 2. A quarter note duration appears.
- Press an “a”. See it works – it chooses the nearest note A.
- Enter “b”, “c” “d” and “e”.
- You see a measure was added automatically after 4 quarter notes. This is because the measure is complete.
- Enter “c”, “b” and “a”. The nearest note to the cursor is chosen, so in this case a descending sequence
- Now enter a half-note duration with the “1″ key. Then “g” and “f”.
- Finally add a whole note with 0 and “g”
Save and View
- We have to save this masterpiece. Press Ctrl+s and a save dialog will appear.
- Just enter a name, for example “tutorial”. (The .denemo_wordpress extension will be added automatically).
- Press Save and this piece is stored on disk and we are back at the editing prompt.
- Now press Ctrl+p to view the final output in a new window, a typeset as a pdf by LilyPond music engraver. This takes some time – a progress bar appears.
- Look over the generated pdf image and choose Print from the top if you are happy to print now.
One more detail
- We want to make the only f an f-sharp, aka Fis.
- Navigate with the Arrow Keys Left and Right until you meet the half f. You don’t have to hit it vertically, horizontally is enough.
- You can just click the f with your mouse, if you want.
- Press the + key to sharpen the note. (Guess what - does.)
- Save and rejoice! You have done the whole first steps!
- To export a pdf choose Export from Denemo’s File menu or use the Print To File option of the print dialog.
- Visit the other tutorials to learn what’s possible.
- Your piece needs a name and author-information. Try to figure out how to set them with the Score menu located in the third or fourth row of Denemo’s menus.
- Add a second staff with Staffs/Voices->Insert Staff->Add Staff after and write a beautiful second voice!