Current stable version: 2.2 from July 28th 2017.
Users’ Manual for the current/upcoming release.
Denemo and all downloads are free of charge, free to use, free to share and free to change. The license is the GPL.
- Most Distributions provide Denemo-packages. Mostly they are not up-to-date. A binary package is available that does not require root permissions to run.
- The binary package includes the latest stable LilyPond version. Unpack (“Extract”) the .tar.xz file and the execute the Launch_Denemo.sh file (you may be able to double click on it for this).
- The binary package is known to work on 32-bit and 64-bit architectures. Some 64-bit systems need help to run 32-bit binaries, see for example
help for Ubuntu 14.
A 64-bit only binary is available for testing 64-bit binary package
Pre-Built Packages for GNU/Linux Distributions
- OpenSUSE and Fedora can use packages created by Edgar
- Users of Debian 8 “Jessie” (and derivatives, e.g. Ubuntu, Linux Mint) can use the packages by Andreas Schneider.
To install, download the files into a temporary folder, e.g. /tmp, and use a terminal to change directory into that folder
cd /tmpand issue (as root – Ubuntu users prefix the command with sudo)
dpkg -i *denemo*2.2*_amd64.deb *denemo*2.2*_all.debor for older 32-bit machines (when available)
dpkg -i *denemo*2.2*_i386.deb *denemo*2.2*_all.deb
This has been tested on Debian stable and Ubuntu 16.04.
Windows without Installing
You can run Denemo on any Windows machine without needing to install – even down at your local library.
To do this download the 2.2 compressed file to a convenient place (a USB stick if you want to carry it around with you). Unpack (“Extract”) the downloaded file (denemo-mingw-2.2.zip) by right-clicking and choosing Extract. This gives you a folder called denemo-2.2, double click on that and then double click on the file Denemo in that folder. (It is a Windows Batch file, Denemo.bat). This will launch Denemo – it takes a long time to launch the first time you use it.
The only downside to using Denemo without installing is that you cannot double-click on a denemo file to launch Denemo, if you do that you will get the installed version.
Note that the extracting stage can take 20 minutes on a USB stick, so you may prefer to do this on your hard drive and then drag the denemo-2.2 folder to a memory stick if you want to be able to use Denemo anywhere.
- the latest features and bug fixes are available in
- which is updated daily and will eventually become version 2.3. See the list of
- in this version. and read the
- with the new documentation.
Download 2.2 Win32 Installer.
- Reboot after installing.
- The first time you start Denemo it hangs for a long, long while creating fonts for use later on. Be patient. After that it will start up quickly enough.
- Sometimes Windows fails to install the needed fonts – the Treble Clef appears as È and so on. Open your file browser on C:\Program Files\Denemo\usr\share\fonts\truetype\denemo and double click on the fonts there to install them
- This installer includes LilyPond internally and everything you need to create, print and playback. It is about 60MB in size. You can install a more up-to-date LilyPond version, setting Denemo to use that via the Change Preferences item – the version installed by Denemo is internal to the Denemo installation and does not affect any previously intalled LilyPond version.
- If you wish to edit graphical title pages, ornaments etc. you will need to install inkscape and follow the instructions to enable loading eps files. You will also need to set the path to inkscape in the externals tab of the preferences.
- If you previously installed Denemo and you have customized it the new installation will offer to keep your customization.
- You may need to set the audio/midi settings before listening/playing in scores (See Edit→Preferences Audio/MIDI tab)
- If using a MIDI keyboard turn it on before launching Denemo.
Version 2.2.0 is a is 64 bit mac app bundle for OS X. This will not be compatible with 32 bit systems. Denemo is executed directly from this directory. The operating system acts as if it is a single file. So executing is just a double click on the uncompressed file (where ever you place it).The first time you start Denemo it hangs for a long, long while creating fonts for use later on. Be patient. After that it will start up quickly enough. To remove the program, just drag it into the trash can. You may need to confirm that you want to install/run non-apple-store software to run Denemo.
There are several ways to get sources:
- Get the latest stable release sourcecode.
- Download a snapshot tarball of the source, generated on-the-fly from our GITs master-branch
- Use Git to check out the current code. Most of the time it is as stable as the releases.
git clone git://git.savannah.gnu.org/denemo.git
All the details you need about dependencies and build is on the documentation page.